Online Editing: A Survey on the Web

Subject: Online Editing: A Survey on the Web
From: David Dayton <ddayton -at- TTACS -dot- TTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:14:53 -0500

I have published a Web-form survey about technical editors' use of and
attitudes toward online editing. This is a pilot test of a mail survey for
which I'm seeking an STC grant.

If you would like to fill in the survey, please go to the introductory page
at http://english.ttu.edu/dayton/. (The default page for that directory
will load--it has links to the survey itself.)

The survey is part of my proposed dissertation project. My goal is to
develop an empirically grounded perspective on (1) technical editors' use
of online editing tools, (2) their attitudes toward online editing as
compared to traditional hard-copy editing, and (3) how the technical
editor's role and the value organizations place on the technical editor's
work are being affected by the adoption of more online procedures in the
information development process.

At the end of the Web-form survey there are spaces to provide contact
information for those respondents who might be interested in letting me
interview them about their online editing procedures and related questions.

Again, you can access the survey by pointing your browser to
http://english.ttu.edu/dayton/ .

David Dayton
ddayton -at- ttu -dot- edu

Program in Technical Communication and Rhetoric
Texas Tech University

Instructor, English Department (on leave)
Univ. of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez