Re: Oh, *anyone* can do *your* job!

Subject: Re: Oh, *anyone* can do *your* job!
From: Steve Arrants <SArrants -at- DATAFUSION -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:50:48 -0700

What I've found when interviewing is that you not only have to "sell"
yourself as able to do the job, you ofen have to redefine what the job
is before you get a glimmer of an offer. Most employers in
non-traditional technical communication industries don't "get it."
They've never needed a technical communicator at their company, they
have no idea *WHAT* we do, and, of course, *WHAT* we're worth.

I'm familiar with the market up in Sonoma County (I live at the Russian
River). There are more high-tech industries in the area (mostly
telecommunication and medical device firms), so it is getting easier.

Stephen Arrants, Jr.
DATAFUSION, Inc.
139 Townsend Street Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94107-1922