Secretaries' Day (or why I don't want to be a programmer)

Subject: Secretaries' Day (or why I don't want to be a programmer)
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:48:47 -0500

I'm not going to deny that I wouldn't be mistaken for a secretary because I'm a
guy, but these typses of misunderstandings aren't _always_ based on which sex
you are.

I started out my career as a programmer. During my transition into technical
writing, I always heard "Well, so-and-so needs an Ada person, so I'll send your
resume up." At which point, I would patiently explain that I was a technical
writer, not a programmer. When I first moved to Phoenix and looked for a job, I
got more calls for Paradox development than I did for technical writing, and I
had to do the same polite explaining.

Granted, the context isn't exactly the same as Melissa Hunter-Kilmer's, but the
fact is, you have to define what you'll do and won't do. Then, you politiely,
firmly stick to your guns. I've never had Melissa Alton's exerpience, but I've
had similar experiences. It might be irritating as hell when you have deal with
these things, but when you get to where you want to be, it becomes that much
sweeter because you've overcome them.
--
Chris Hamilton
chamilton -at- gr -dot- com