Re: Using OR as a verb

Subject: Re: Using OR as a verb
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:07:44 -0700

At 10:48 AM 4/23/98 -0700, Dave Neufeld wrote:

>The audience seems quite familiar with using terms such as "ORing",
>"ORed", and so on; but I haven't seen anything definitive on usage. I've
>also come across this usage in hardware in terms of "wire OR'd"
>connections. My H/W and S/W development background allow me to
>understand these terms, but I just haven't seen them in print. Is there
>a way to use these as a verb? If so, then how? (OR'd, or ORed?)

Given your audience, I would have no problem with it. In fact, your audience
might even be annoyed by the circuitous (you should pardon the expression)
phrasing you would have to employ to be grammatically "correct."

In my realm of search engines and Boolean operators in query language, I
would not use OR as a verb.

--Wayne
Wayne Douglass phone: 408-542-2139
Verity, Inc. FAX: 408-542-2040
894 Ross Road mailto:wayned -at- verity -dot- com
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 http://www.verity.com