Launching Acroread from WinHelp

Subject: Launching Acroread from WinHelp
From: Walt Tucker <walt_tucker -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:02:04 -0700

I'm new to WinHelp development, so forgive me if this is an obvious question.

For the particular product I am working on, the product manuals are already
online in PDF. I am developing WinHelp as a supplement to the existing
documentation and as a way to provide the user with some context-sensitive
assistance. Does WinHelp support launching of an external application, such
as the Acrobat Reader, via a "hotspot" in the help text? It would seem like
if I was able to simply create a hyperlink to a file with a .pdf extension
that the Windows O/S would recognize the file type and take care of the rest.

My authoring environment is ForeHelp 2.96. I scanned the ForeHelp manual
and didn't see any obvious references to launching an external application,
other than incorporating a multi-media .avi file.

Thanks much,

Walt Tucker
Mentor Graphics, Corp.