Filling out forms

Subject: Filling out forms
From: Richard Nickel <jrnickel -at- XTRA -dot- CO -dot- NZ>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:00:38 +1200

Hello all,

>From time to time I need to update and re-submit sets of employment
related forms.

In the "good old days" (Ha!) I could put the form into a typewriter and
type in all the details, all neat and tidy.

I have managed to do the same thing using computer and printer, but it
is very painstaking and extremely time consuming to get everything 'just
right'. The biggest problem is adjusting the linespacing to coincide
with the pre-printed lines on the form.

It occurs to me that I should be able to have the forms scanned, then
bring them up onto the screen where I could use them as a background
visual template, typing in the details and adjusting the linespacing
exactly as required to fit the screen image. I should then be able to
load the original form into the printer, print out the text and presto!
everyting fits perfectly!

I would be most interested to hear from anyone who has done this.

Which scanned-file format is best suited?
Which software package would be best suited to this task?
(The required text already exists as Word6 files).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Dick