Re: Attitudes toward tech writers (Was: Re[2]: secretary's day)

Subject: Re: Attitudes toward tech writers (Was: Re[2]: secretary's day)
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:23:55 -0700

At that time, David Sarnoff's research center (he fathered RCA and
pioneered the superheterodyne radio receiver, which we've now turned
into an entire industry or three) was about nine years old and America's
entry into World War II was three years away. I'm not really surprised
that it was listed. After all, at that time, aviation was also a
relatively new field.

Putting a radio transceiver into an airplane -- along with the
development of the airplane itself by the Wright brothers of Kitty Hawk,
NC, became possible because those technologies were properly seen as
having significant military uses. As you might expect, people later saw
the civilian applications for radio-equipped aircraft, radios and
airplanes as well (they were also brilliantly radical ideas), but we had
to go to war first to see how it all worked out.

And the reality is that very little has changed ever since 1938 on that
score, IMHO. =)