Re: How old is the profession?

Subject: Re: How old is the profession?
From: Carol Hoeniges <ttchoeniges -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:24:10 -0500

Teresa Kynell has written a thorough historical account of tech writing in
"Writing in a Milieu of Utility: The Move to Technical Communication in
American Engineering Programs." She studies our emerging profession from
the early 1900's (as the growth of tech writing relates to engineering).
Also, Elizabeth Tebeaux has done extensive research on tech writing in the
Renaissance. I remember conversation with one of my graduate professors
that there is also study/speculation of the profession going back even
farther than that, into the days of Roman Empire and Aristotle. Keeping
track of the various names and applications of the profession's history
seems to part of the challenge.

Carol Hoeniges
The Training Connection
309.454.2218 voice