Re: Accreditation, registration,certification for academic TechComm programs?

Subject: Re: Accreditation, registration,certification for academic TechComm programs?
From: Bethany Call <bethany -dot- call -at- MURRAYSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 00:35:24 -0500

I'm one of those students that Miles Kimball recently referred to TECHWR-L,
so naturally I got a chuckle when I read Ben Anderson's response:

> Gosh, and I bet they are all impressed with the "Propriety: New Twist on
Professionalism & Secretaries Day" thread :-)

I was surprised to receive over 70 messages the first day of my
subscription, with many focusing on the secretary comparison. Guess I'm
getting an idea of what to expect in the workplace.

I got another chuckle reading George Mena's comment:
> I started the OJT the same day I was hired on (at $5.50 an hour!) back in
January of 1981.

My tech writing co-op position (which started in 1996) paid a whole
$5.75/hr, capping off after a year at $6.25/hr. And yes, I've done my share
of secretarial work! Still, it's better than minimum wage at a fast food
restaurant :)

I've accepted a grad assistantship in the M.T.S.C. program at Miami
University of Ohio, and will perform an internship in the spring of 2000.
My question: when and where is a good place to search for an internship?
Also, I'm interested in finding more web sites about teaching technical
communication.

Beth Call
bethany -dot- call -at- murraystate -dot- edu