HELP-EXTRA!

Subject: HELP-EXTRA!
From: Stuart Rowe <dms -at- PENINSULA -dot- STARWAY -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:16:10 +1000

Tracey wrote

"I have to write a draft (Beta) users guide in three weeks. We use Word 97.
Our application is VERY graphic and so the users guides contain lots of
screen scrapes. I have written two guides so far in Word 97, and it's been a
nightmare. The graphics don't stay locked in place....."

I have a related problem!

One of my clients has a "simple" need; - to use a modern computer with
scanner attached, and using Word 97 as the primary tool, to replace the
traditional paper filing system for the information relating to her "cause".
The filing must use graphic images rather than OCR conversions - mainly
copies of letters and newspaper articles.

The focus of her activity is her cause, and all other things around her are
subordinate. She has (recently) adopted her computer system as an important
aide and I need to define a simple process for her to be able to record the
information dear to her. At this time, retrieval of same is not important,
but it will be.

I thought it would be a simple matter of scanning each document into a
contiguous series of images to be easily recorded and subsequently viewed,
in Word 97.

But NO!

Best I can see, after many hours of trying alternatives, "Tracey's
complaint" frustrates the objective.

I have tested/followed up on all of the contributions made to the list and
none are relevant, or user friendly enough, to be usefull!

The issues are:

- is it within the capability of Word 97 to "simply" acquire, and coherently
re-present a contiguous series of graphic images that have no associated
text?

- If the answer is YES - how?

- if the answer is NO - how else?

Stuart Rowe
dms -at- peninsula -dot- hotkey -dot- net -dot- au