Re: Teaching Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Teaching Technical Writing
From: Elizabeth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 10:30:15 -0700

Fabien,
I joined the ATTW for one year, hoping to find the same kinds of
things you cite below. I got nothing of the kind, so beware before you
join. All I got was academic-style journals that were not at all
useful. The ATTW seems to provide a place for rhetoric-type folks to
get published (to get the brownie points that keep them employed at
universities).

If you EVER find anything like what you cite below, please let us all
know. I think I would enjoy teaching REAL-LIFE technical writing, but
I have no interest in that rhetoric stuff.

Beth Kane
Senior Technical Writer
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com

..ISO, SGML/HTML, Usability, Audience Analysis, online Help, etc.)?
..the perspective of the teacher. How to best *explain* these topics to
students, with examples, exercises, tests, etc.
..would like to upgrade my courses with fresh material.