Not allowed to change templates?

Subject: Not allowed to change templates?
From: Ballenberger Gerd <Gerd -dot- Ballenberger -at- MED -dot- SIEMENS -dot- DE>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 17:18:38 +0200

Our (big) department has a standard set of FrameMaker templates, and we are
"NOT" allowed to change them. Now we're writing a department style guide,
and found e.g. that there is no paragraph tag for a literature list, and no
xref format for referencing the list items, like [1]. Of course we created
these formats (plus some others), and now we have to defend our decision.
How did others handle the need for special-purpose formats in a rigid
environment?

Thanks & regards,
Gerd Ballenberger

Technical Writer
Siemens Medical Systems
Erlangen, Germany
gerd -dot- ballenberger -at- med -dot- siemens -dot- de