Re: References to the "Learning Curve"

Subject: Re: References to the "Learning Curve"
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 10:14:44 -0400

As I understand and use the term, "steep learning curve" means that one must
master a large volume of knowledge in a short period of time to be
productive. If time = x-axis going this way >, and
information/knowledge/skill is the y-axis going up ^, then a steep learning
curve looks like _/ , a short time with lots of information. A shallow
learning curve of course is then more like ___----- ~~~.
I submit that the chart shows "Productivity", not "Mastery", in that one
must grasp a great deal in order to be productive quickly. With a shallow
learning curve, one could be productive sooner, with less information.

I agree that there is confusion about this term. I think it's because we
tend to forget the third element, what it is we're depicting. One's
interpretation of the chart can be skewed if we are depicting different
things.
--Beth

=
> > If that is true, then a "steep" curve means mastery in a short time. A =
> > difficult learning experience would have a "flat" curve, not a "steep" =
> > one. That is, it would take a long time to gain a small amount of =
> > competence.=20

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb