Re: Not allowed to change templates?

Subject: Re: Not allowed to change templates?
From: Karen Kay <karen -at- WORDWRITE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 21:38:47 -0700

Tracy,

What you're setting up is a conversion nightmare! When you change
templates, or move to SGML, or change to Word, or change to the Next
Hot Tool, you will have to hand-tweak 15% of your doc set. (10%
because writers deliberately made new tags, +/- 5% for general
misapplication of the template--we are all human.)

I don't feel passionately about many things in technical writing, but
having been through conversions big and small, this is something I
feel quite strongly about. You are creating trouble for yourself and
anyone who inherits your docs down the line.

I do think that a template review board (composed of writers) is the
way to go. Automated conversions r3Wl, but they aren't possible if
writers don't follow the template.

Karen
karen -at- wordwrite -dot- com