Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:33:16 -0400

On 5/6/1998 8:11 AM, Hutchings, Christa (cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM)
wrote:

>I have always been rather fond of both of them, as they are short and to
>the point. However, (sadly) in this day and age, fewer and fewer people
>know what they mean, so I am instead using "that is" or "in other words"
>and "for example".

I certainly didn't stop using them because of some notion that people are
stupider than they used to be. I've never run across anybody who couldn't
get the meaning of a sentence simply because it used "i.e." instead of
"that is."

I stopped using "i.e." and "e.g." (and "etc.") because the use of Latin
abbreviations is less clear and more pretentious than using simple
English/American phrases. In a computer manual that's likely to contain
words and phrases, not to mention concepts, unfamiliar to the reader, any
added clarity helps.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman