Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: Roger Mallett <roger -at- CSICAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 08:38:05 -0700

Now that the "readability" arguments have started surfacing, I have a
question.

For the sake of readability should we abandon all acronyms? How do we
decide which ones to abandon (if any)?

For example (i.e., e.g.,), in a document that refers to the "Federal
Deposit Insurance Corporation" (commonly referred to as FDIC), hundreds
of times, which would be more readable, the acronym or the full name?

I, as well as you, can think of many other examples (for you Latin
experts, is "examples" shortened to "g.s"?).

It seems funny to me that here we are arguing readability on this thread
(assuming our readers can't readily understand the acronyms), while a
companion thread (see Nontechnical Technical Writers) is arguing that
writers must be more technical (the assumption is that the reader is
technical enough to understand what is being said).

Roger Mallett
Control Systems
(714) 458-5040 x 239