Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-technical, Technical Writers
From: John Gilger <JohnG -at- MIKOHN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:50:32 -0700

Jill Burgchardt wrote:

<snip>P.S. As a Coloradoan I interpreted "hard" as difficult. School
of
Mines reputation here is that it's very rigorous, not just technical.
As a Colorado State graduate, anything I might say about that "other"
school John mentioned would be biased.</snip>

"Hard" means they teach the "hard sciences" in a rigorous, "hard"
curriculum and take a "hardline" about student behavior. Drug use is
not tolerated. Drinking by minors is not tolerated. Habitual drinking
to excess is not tolerated. Any of these actions will send the student
packing, right now.

Students are taught in their freshman year to apply critical analytical
skills to problems. The only thing that changes after that is a honing
of these skill on more specific engineeering problems.

That is an education worth paying for. Obviously, I am proud of my son
and I admire the problem solving abilities he has developed at Mines.
BTW he will graduate in December 1998 with a BS in Math and Computer
Science and does not have a job locked in yet. Any body interested?

John Gilger
Mikohn Gaming Corp.
Las Vegas, NV

~~~