Re: PhotoShop and Corel Suite compatibility

Subject: Re: PhotoShop and Corel Suite compatibility
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 20:14:47 +0200

Cheryle,

It depends a lot on what you want to do with the graphics.

First, a correction: The GIF format is an indexed 8-bit graphic file
format. This file format does not support anything like layers or channels.
In the Photoshop world, the only file format supporting layers and channels
that I know of, is the native Photoshop format. A graphic consisting of
layers can be compared to a stack of overhead transparencies. Channels are
comparable to cutouts (but can do a lot more...).

If you produce a GIF in Photoshop, you "flatten the layers", which means
that you take the whole stack of transparencies and bring everything onto
one single sheet.

So, if the graphics make intelligent use of the layers, they may be very
easy to modify, if you have them with the layers, but can be extremely
tedious to change when flattened.

As I don't know how your graphic files look like, I can't say how much more
time you would spend fiddling around with them in another software than
Photoshop. It could be that for modifications taking you 5 minutes in
Photoshop, you would spend an hour in another software. Multiply that with
the number of graphics and with the internal hourly rate, and look at the
results.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap