Re: estimates: x hrs per page but how many pages?

Subject: Re: estimates: x hrs per page but how many pages?
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 10:47:48 PDT

J.M. Smith wrote:

Okay, say 4-8 hours per page sounds reasonable.
Any suggestions for estimating the number of pages?

Tony Markatos replied:

I have found that once I have properly "scoped-out" a project,
estimating is much easier. However, scoping-out the project is tough
work. It is made more difficult because (in my experience) no one else
has scoped-out the project ahead of me.

How do I scope-out a project? I use data flow diagrams to rigorously
define the end user tasks accomplished and to gain a clear
understanding of the number of steps required to accomplish a given
task.

Next, I create an organizational structure for my documenation based
upon these end user tasks (the best way to orgainze your work). Now I
have a direct correlation between task/number of steps to accomplish
this task and section of documentation.

Finally, I use the number of steps within a task (i.e., the number of
steps to be discussed within a section of documentation) to estimate the
number of pages required per individual section.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

SHOW ME YOUR DFD'S