Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 15:59:12 -0700

I'm not arguing that they be used over their English word equivalents.
I'm all for avoiding abbreviations. I just think it is unsubstantiated
to NOT use them on the assumption that readers do not understand them or
because they are Latin abbreviations.

Also, I don't think the reader has to figure anything out. The average
reader probably thinks they are synonymous, or at least so similar in
meaning, that he would not stumble at all, regardless of which one is
used (like the en/em dash comparison).

To your comment, " if the writer has used the incorrect one, the reader
could get distracted from the manual's content by doubting their own
knowledge and maybe going to look it up," I say that could happen with
ANY word or abbreviation. Just as with anything the writer produces, the
responsibility for correctness is on the writer.

Beverly Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil = http://www.hqisec.army.mil/cis/
Visit the Friendly Faces of TECHWR-L:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/