Re: Lurker wants opinions...

Subject: Re: Lurker wants opinions...
From: Kelly Anderson <kellya -at- VIEWSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 11:06:07 -0600

At 11:44 AM 5/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Maybe this is a dumb comment, but I guess I never really understood why we
>have to say anything at all. Do TACs get calls from customers asking why
>there's nothing on a page? It seems like real books have blank pages in
>them; why would technical books be any different? And, is the writing so
>inconclusive that it seems like something is missing...? Just pondering.
>Sorry if I'm confused about the obvious; it just always struck me as
>ridiculous to label a page as blank--especially since once it's labeled,
>it's no longer blank! How about "text intentionally included" on the
>others..? (Who knows? I've seen text so bad that it ought not to have been
>included...)

I believe this originated in the military. The idea being that if there
were blank pages, sensitive information could easily be stolen out of the
book and replaced with a blank page. If all the pages have something on
them, it makes it just a little more difficult to swipe a page out of the
middle.

-Kelly
Oxymorons of the day:
- "Military intelligence"