Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Culture, or What it means to be a Technical Writer
From: Marilyn Fenter <mfenter -at- PTC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 17:20:58 -0400

Chris Welch-Hutchings expresses my feelings absolutely -

Chris wrote:

> Funny - I have always [thought] of myself as standing shoulder to
> shoulder with the user, facing the engineer. As a TW, my most important
> task is to help the user use the product. That means I must look at the
> product from the user's perspective, not the engineer's.

We need all the help we can get against them ornery engineers. :-) Many
development engineers do not think that they need to develop communication
skills with user types. They leave that to marketing and sales. A lot
gets lost in the translation. That's why I think that TWs should be
allowed to visit customer sites to interview users directly.

Marilyn Fenter
Technical Writer
Parametric Technology Corporation
Waltham, MA