Re: Non-Technical Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Non-Technical Technical Writers
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- ITEXCHSRV2 -dot- PHX -dot- MCD -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 15:07:03 -0700

Compadres,

Judging by the number of "Oh, yeah, well to write what I am writing
about, you need to know..." messages I received in response to my two
innocent questions (which far outnumbered the four "I get your point"
messages), it would appear that I stepped on some toes.

So, here was the point, bluntly: Not ALL technical writing requires
advanced technical knowledge. It all depends upon who your audience is
and what you are writing about.

Heck, I started out documenting software for novice users (mainframe and
PC apps). Never once had to read the code. Just played with the app --
pushed all the buttons, filled all the fields, and SPOKE to the
programmers when I had a question. Couldn't read code to save my life.
Still managed to create usable documents (if the opinions of the users
matter).

I bet some of you are now cringing. "Ack! Don't say that! It devalues
our art!." Not really. My take at the time was that the customer (who
was internal) was paying me (one person) to do all the playing and
poking, and explain it clearly in terms of their daily work, so that
they (300 people) did not have to. A pretty good investment if you add
up the $$$.

What I document now is a completely different story, but then again, it
is also a completely different who and what.

So, to all you who said "But what I write about..." , yes, yes, yes. Me
too. The point was that the coin has two sides.

Secondly, this is for those of you who (feebly) tried to explain why you
need to read the schematics for the VCR and code for the e-mail program
... if it makes you feel good, go for it. I would rather make a
3-minute phone call or quick scan of the specs and spend the rest of my
precious time making the information useful to the user.

(Then again, if it was an object-oriented, distributed, scaleable,
e-mail program for developers... sorry, just yanking your chain).

Jason