Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vs non-techie...)

Subject: Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vs non-techie...)
From: Pat Anderson <panders -at- AW -dot- SGI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 12:19:14 -0400

Eric J. Ray asked:

>Does anyone else have "interesting" culling questions, either
>from the interviewer or interviewee standpoint?
>
>Eric

Not so much a question, as a technique I've recently added to the interview
process. I bring in
- An egg-shaped piece of plasticine on top of a cylinder of plasticine,
- A blob of plasticine, and
- A bunch of modeling tools.

"Make a face on this head -- have some fun. I'll be back in ten minutes."

There are tech writers with a graphics aptitude.
There are tech writers with a willingness to learn.
There are tech writers who say "not my job."

This isn't a meaningless exercise -- we create 3D graphics products. If a
writer is solely interested in writing, and not willing to illustrate his
or her work with visual examples (which he or she would have to create),
then that writer will be happier working at a different company. I don't
use the technique to look for artists -- it's to ensure a good fit of
technical writers into our corporate culture.

...pat.

Pat Anderson,
Documentation Manager
Alias|Wavefront, an SGI Company