Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vsnon-techie...) -Reply -Reply

Subject: Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vsnon-techie...) -Reply -Reply
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:27:31 -0700

At 04:29 PM 5/11/98 -0400, Lisa Comeau wrote:

>>"What was the last newspaper article you read that sticks out in your
>mind?"
>(Tells me whether they are interested in current events-keeping current
>is important, how can they be capable of updating a manual if they
>don't even read a TV Guide?)

Holy non sequitur, Batman...

Am I missing something here, or should the fact that I haven't watched
television or read more than the headlines of a newspaper in quite a while
somehow contradict the fact that I have been a very successful technical
writer for a number of years? I can update a manual as good as the rest of
'em; heck, I can even design a help system and write enough topics to
create an impressive prototype in just a few weeks. Is that really an
anomaly because I don't follow popular culture or politics as closely as I
used to?

Over the years, I've been asked a number of fascinating questions in
interviews, and I've asked a few myself, but I have never correlated
reading TV Guide (or any other newspaper) with the ability to write or
update a technical manual.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Senior Technical Writer

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"