Taking notes and other drudgery

Subject: Taking notes and other drudgery
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:17:29 -0500

When I was a captive employee, I discovered that there were companies I
would "demean" myself for, and ones I wouldn't. It depended on who I
trusted.

In the companies that fostered teamwork, and everybody did some scut work, I
was happy and willing to do my own share. Those were magical times. On the
other hand, there were companies where I had to watch my backside all the
time, and in those cases I always had to ask myself why I was being asked to
do clerical or other "lesser" work. That's not fun.

The nature of the work isn't the determining factor for me. Rather, the
basic question is one of whether I trust the other folks to not ratchet me
down on the socioeconomic scale just because I would volunteer to run
copies.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com
Creators of the Clustar Method for task-based documentation