Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Subject: Re: Correct usage "i.e." and "e.g." ?
From: John Renish <John_F_Renish -at- NOTES -dot- SEAGATE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 08:33:09 -0700

Janice Gelb wrote:

<snip>
First of all, in the last *two* editions of the Sun internal style
guides, they are not allowed. Secondly, you specifically said "the
famous Sun style guide," which to most people on this list means the
generic external version, _Read Me First: A Style Guide for the
Computer Industry_. It does not permit these abbreviations either.
I wish you had done more research before making such a flat statement.
</snip>

Doing the research would be my preference, but I have no more access to
later internal versions than most people do, nor do I have a copy of the
externally published version. I _did_ subsequently clarify that my
reference was to an _earlier_ internal version of the Sun style guide.

This entire discussion, however, is secondary to the use of the qualifiers
i.e. and e.g. and their English equivalents: I'm agin the former and fer
the latter, as long as the phrases they introduce don't include 'etc.' or
the like.

John_F_Renish -at- notes -dot- seagate -dot- com, San Jose, California, USA
My comments represent my personal views and not those of my employer.
"Man is the only animal that blushes, or has a need to."
--Mark Twain