taking notes/minutes (Brits vs- Americans)

Subject: taking notes/minutes (Brits vs- Americans)
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <mikeuhl -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:55:13 -0400

Esteemed Colleagues:

When I was a Glaxo (now Glaxo Wellcome), I was assigned to take minutes at
senior management meetings. I worked in the Medical Data Sciences Department,
part of the group that processed and analyzed data from clinical trials. The
minutes were a big deal, for legal reasons and as a management tool. They had
tried using admins in the past but found they needed someone with better
writing skills, a better understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, better
science knowledge, and someone who was discreet and knew what to record and
what not to record.

I remember being asked to compose a document in real time during a meeting with
the audience acting as the writers and I as the editor. I sweated a lot, but
they were very impressed that I had had a thesaurus in my head and enough
confidence to remain so--apparently--cool while a dozen different people tried
to "improve" my writing.

Anyway, Glaxo being a multinational based in the U.K., I attended video
teleconferences with colleagues across the pond. Whereas the Yanks loved to
have me take minutes and thus relieve themselves of the burden, the Brits were
much more possessive. They saw the minutes as Wendy does (see below), as having
some control, or "spin", on the meeting. We encountered a bit of culture shock.
On our side, they continued to have me take unofficial minutes, sitting me off
camera in the corner of the room, so as not to offend our British colleagues.

I got pretty darned good at minute-taking...

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:mikeuhl -at- mindspring -dot- com)
President, Carolina Chapter, STC (1997-1998)