No subject given

Subject: No subject given
From: "M. Hunter-Kilmer" <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:07:17 -0500

"Cohen, Dan, Sherry, Nathaniel, Brittany" <dcohen -at- ERINET -dot- COM> (okay,
it was really Sherry Cohen) wrote:

> Can I write manuals about medical subjects without being
> a doctor or nurse? I am very interested in the subject, read lots
> of medical journals, understand the terminology, know biology and
> chemistry, have an extensive knowledge of pharmacology, and just
> generally love everything to do with the subject. I also love
> research.

I'd think you'd be in great shape, but I've never written medical doc,
so I don't know for sure.

> This leads me to my next question. The school I attend only
> offers two year degrees, and there are no reasonable alternatives.

Aren't there any distance-learning alternatives in TW? I think we've
covered that on this list. You might want to search the archives.

> Now, I know my program is well thought of in professional circles.
> The dept. chair is VERY active with the local STC, but...where is my
> AS going to get me? Every employment add I see wants a BS in some
> subject. Am I going to be employable? Or am I wasting my time here?

This is a perfect example of why networking is such a good idea. You
can start with your dept. chair and the STC. Heck, don't be limited
to them -- network with your kids' teachers, your dentist, your
doctor, your vet, the guys at the pool, whatever. Expand your circle
until you find employers who see what a wonderful writer and sterling
character you are, and they won't care about your credentials.

When I hired two contract writers, I didn't care what their education
level was. As it happened, each had a BA, but what I really cared
about was writing ability, prior experience, temperament, curiosity,
work ethic, and stuff like that. I got a few applicants who didn't
have BAs. I eliminated them, but not because of education. This is
holy-war fodder, though, so be prepared for strong opinions on the
other side.

Incidentally, Sherry, my boss's name is Dan Cohen, too!

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)