Avoiding Word 97's autonumbering bugs (Was: Understanding numbering, bullets, styles in Word97)

Subject: Avoiding Word 97's autonumbering bugs (Was: Understanding numbering, bullets, styles in Word97)
From: David Knopf <david -at- KNOPF -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 07:20:05 -0700

Amy,

Welcome to Word 97! :-/

I suspect you've run into one Word 97's most notorious bugs (at least among
help authors). Basically, autonumbering of lists and auto-formatting of
complex lists including both numbered and bulleted items just doesn't work
very well in Word 97. The symptoms you report are typical: autonumbered
lists losing their indent when you 'restart numbering,' bullets turning into
numbers, numbers turning into bullets, etc.

The first thing to do is make sure you have Service Release 1 for Word
installed. You can tell by choosing Help>About. The first line of text in
the About dialog box should say "Microsoft Word 97 SR-1." If not, you should
download SR-1 (Service Release 1) from http://www.microsoft.com and install
it. The service release corrects some of the list formatting problems.

Even with SR-1 installed, though, you are still likely to encounter problems
with autonumbering in any but the simplest of lists. My recommendation is to
avoid autonumbering altogether. I've written up a description of how to do
this and posted it on my Web site. Drop by http://www.knopf.com and check
out the "Tip of the Week," which describes a good workaround for the
autonumbering bugs. One caveat, though: I've described the workaround
specifically with RoboHELP users in mind. The same technique, though, will
work with any Word document.

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415-820-2356
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Writing * WinHelp * Web Sites * Training * Consulting
RoboHELP Certified Trainer * RoboHELP Certified Consultant