Re: Technical Writer Education

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Education
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:38:14 -0700

George Mena wrote:

> At the bare minimum, all tech writers should have knowledge of Microsoft
> Word, and many do.
>
> After that, it can get a little murky because technical writing is a
> rather diverse occupation that supports a great many industries, both
> high-tech and rest-of-world. For the Unix-based programs, ask one of
> the folks here from Sun Microsystems.

Well, for one thing, we don't require anyone to know Microsoft
Word :->

Usual technical writer applications on UNIX include FrameMaker,
FrameMaker+SGML, Interleaf, or Adept*Editor. To my knowledge,
there *are* no really good graphics programs. We use something
called IslandDraw, or the graphics part of the Applix office
suite.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html