Re: Technical Writer Education

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Education
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:05:00 -0700

Janice,

The Unix side of the world really brings up an issue for me, namely how
I can get my hands on a secondhand Sun 3/60 with hard disk and some
decent programs. On the one hand, I know getting the secondhand
hardware is possible, even if it's not very well-publicized (and I wish
it were). Finding the programs to run on it, however, is another
matter. Where would I get an earlier version of Applix or Island Draw,
for example? Or a good shell compiler, that sort of thing?

I've got this *very* old AT&T box, a Model 7300 Unix PC circa 1987
before AT&T sold its computer unit to NCR. Picked it up at a swap meet
at the Cow Palace for $100, came with old System V, ver. 3.51. Would
love to find other software I could put on it besides the default suite
I picked up when I bought the box. Through some very long digging, I
did learn the 7300 is 68000-based, 1 MB of RAM and a 20 MB hard disk.
Great for learning basic Unix commands from eons ago, but totally
worthless by today's standards unless the main board, 5.25 inch floppy
drive and hard disk are swapped out. And it's not like the folks I
bought it from really know that much about it, either. The folks I
bought it from were part of Rev. Cecil Williams's computer group at
Glide Memorial Church in the Tenderloin!

Finding good secondhand Unix hardware and software is a problem for me,
so if you know who's got some of both -- or even technical specs or
software on the Model 7300 -- I'd be most appreciative. =D

Mucho de grass ; )

George