Proofreading Everything Under the Sun-- A TWs responsibility?-- P

Subject: Proofreading Everything Under the Sun-- A TWs responsibility?-- P
From: Shannon White <shannonwhite -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 06:59:48 -0700

Does everything going outside your company need to be seen by a
proofreader first? Yes! Nothing loses credibility faster than stupid
typos and incorrect "there" vs "their."

Is is fair that you have to do it not being assigned to projects? No.
Is it demeaning to you? Yes. Is it the best thing for your company?
Yes, it is.

Take your problem to management. Scream and rant at the unfairness of
the world and demand additional resources. Stand back and be
overwhelmed by the laughter.

Everyone designated as a technical writer, that I can see, is being
plagued by similar problems. You either live with it and do the best
that you can because you truly believe that your job makes a
difference, or you get out. You can take the attitude not to do
something because it is "not my responsibility," or you can say "if I
don't take accountability for doing this job right, no one will." In
the long run, I believe the 2nd attitude will pay off.

Shannon White
Business Technical Writer
State Farm Insurance Companies
shannonwhite -at- yahoo -dot- com