Proofreader vs. TE/ TW

Subject: Proofreader vs. TE/ TW
From: Gina Hertel <Ghertel -at- ALPHA88 -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:12:40 -0400

Since my last post "Proofreading Everything Under the Sun-- A TWs
responsibility?", I have received some very helpful suggestions. Thank you
to all those who took a moment out of their days to respond.

Some suggested hiring a proofreader, some suggested a Technical Editor.
Now, two questions remain:

What is the difference between a technical editor and a proofreader?
And what abilities do you think TWs have that proofreaders do not?