Re: Re[2]: Conventions, Intros, Overviews, Help, etc. -Reply

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Conventions, Intros, Overviews, Help, etc. -Reply
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 12:04:05 -0400

>>> Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM> 05/29/98 11:48am >>>

<snippety snip snip snip>

I could assume a certain amount of knowledge on the part of my audience... I always included a section that said something like "The conventions in this document assume a basic knowledge of Windows software."

If you have *really* basic users, you would have to spell it out for
them everywhere anyway.

<snippety snip snip snip>

IMHO, that would be a conventions section, Nora. As soon as you mention something that the reader may use to understand where your head was when writing the manual, you're giving them a type of "conventions dictionary".

And as far as spelling it out for really basic users, all that is is including the conventions within the manual. I think that whether we like it or not, we all use "conventions translators" in some way, and our users are the better for it, so why not?

(sniff, sniff, do I smell burnt toast?)
Lisa Comeau
my laptop is dead and so is my signature macro
comeaul -at- csa -dot- ca