Is incorporation still worth it in today's market?

Subject: Is incorporation still worth it in today's market?
From: Randy <ghost -at- NETAXIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 11:27:22 -0700

Hi all,

I'm sure this is the 181,000th time this topic has come up...but it may
be worth a fresh inquiry, given the changing marketplace.

I haven't yet incorporated as a tech writer; rather, I go through the
agencies, as most contract tech writers I know still do.

I've heard the stories about corporations, intimidated by IRS rulings,
requiring an agency/W-2 situation regardless of whether the writer is
self-incorporated or not.

Opinions? Practices? On a percentage basis, is it worth the hassle of
incorporating--and presumably getting the extra money that might have
gone to an agency--when weighed against the percentage of time you end
up with a client who insists on an agency relationship?

E-mail directly to me as well as posts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy