Re: HTML & ROBOHELP WITH FRAMEMAKER

Subject: Re: HTML & ROBOHELP WITH FRAMEMAKER
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 11:52:02 -0700

> >Word integrates very well with RoboHelp. Now what I would like to know
> >is:
> >
> >How well does Frame Maker integrate with RoboHelp?
>
> Not at all.

Agreed. However, our group is probably going to try the MIF2RTF
filter put out by OMNI Systems, Inc. (www.omsys.com). This
provides a much better switch to RTF plus some of the same
gadgets as RoboHelp.

I'll post a progress report after we give this a try, which
may be a week or two. If nothing else, we're hoping that MIF2RTF
gives us clean-enough RTF that we can use RoboHelp direct once
the conversion is complete.

> >How easy is it to create HTML help with Frame maker?

I had pretty good luck using FrameMaker 5.5 - better than
I expected. There is some setting up to do, but you can
do some very interesting things on the FrameMaker Ref pages.

>Get and read the book "Framemaker to HTML"

Large segments of this book are reprinted at:

http://www.harlequin.com/education/books/frametohtml/

with the permission of the authors. This is a very
useful site.

>>I am a novice as far as FrameMaker is concerned. SOS!!!!

>So am I.

Try the online FrameMaker User's Network

http://www.FrameUsers.com/index.shtml

Adobe also has a FrameMaker Web site at:

http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/framemaker/

Adobe technical documents can also be ordered
by e-mail via

http://www.FrameUsers.com/index.shtml

These docs are usually answers to specific
questions from their help desk.

I'll send more info about my own Frame 5.5-->HTML conversions,
after I miss my deadline less than I will if I keep writing
here.....

David (The Man) Blyth
Sr. Technical Writer
ASIC Division
QUALCOMM

"Web documentation has already and will continue to cause a
drastic shift in how Technical Communication is defined"