Re: Interview Questions Revisited

Subject: Re: Interview Questions Revisited
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:08:53 -0700

At 09:21 AM 6/1/98 -0500, K R Wolfe wrote:

>I'm interested in everyone's remarks concerning the best questions one
>could (and should) ask a prospective employer.

Well, the one I always ask is, "So, what's it *really* like to work here?"

And then I listen for the varying responses. The most important indicator
is not so much what they say, but the order in which they say it. For
example, if the reply is "well, the technology is really exciting, and we
always get the resources we need, but sometimes we have to work pretty hard
to meet our deadlines," I'm much more inclined to want to work there than
if, for example, they say, "You know, we work really really hard here, and
some people are always here late, but it's worth it because of the
technology we work with.

I also ask how responsive management is, whether the company has had a
history of layoffs, and how willing engineers are to work with writers.
But, on the whole, I like to listen to how the people I meet describe their
own experiences working there. It also tells me a lot about potential
co-workers and what they value.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Senior Technical Writer

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"