Re: conventions

Subject: Re: conventions
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:14:55 -0700

Kippi Fagerlund wrote:

> I find using words like spin box, combo box, text field, etc. useful
> when documenting a user interface. Some of these elements have subtle
> behavior differences, and if they are described consistently, a user
> knows something already about how particular things work when
> encountering a new dialog.

If there are obvious differences that are necessary to understand
how the element works, then I agree readers can be helped by using
the names. Mostly, though, I think general terms like "field" and
"list" are more understandable and do the trick most of the time.

Our style guide calls for things to be described in that detail
only when necessary for meaning (for example, we don't say
"pop-up menu" unless there are different sorts of menus in the
product and the difference in behavior is necessary to note).

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html