Re: Walk-throughs

Subject: Re: Walk-throughs
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:46:44 PDT

Kate:

I do technical writing for complex software products. During the
documentation's planning stage, I develop various diagrams to document
my understanding of the end user functions accomplished and how they all
interrelate.

I use data flow diagrams, entity relationship diagrams, flow charts -
whatever gets the job done. I then walk-through these diagrams with the
end users and/or the development team to correct my misunderstandings
about what the software does. This always requires multiple iterations
- for really complex procedure, it has taken me up to ten.

I use the understanding that I have gained from these walk-throughs to
develop the outline for my documentation and to scope-out the project to
prepare preliminary time estimates.

In later phases of the project, as necessary, I may develop and
walk-through additional diagrams. These are more detailed and cover a
narrower range. I use these to "nail-down" procedural detail.

Key Point: Systems Analysts do a lot of walk-throughs of procedure.
They have made a science of it. The main principle that they espouse is
that it is impossible to walk-through a large amount of text with
anybody - even once. It can take forever. And remember, you will
require multiple iterations. Diagramatical techniques make
walk-throughs much more efficient and effective.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)