No subject given

Subject: No subject given
From: "M. Hunter-Kilmer" <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:49:22 -0500

Patty Ewy <pewy -at- MIDCOM-INC -dot- COM> wrote:

> Several have suggested that I poll the audience for the newsletter.
> At first blush that is a piece of cake--but then I realize I am not
> exactly sure who the audience is.

<snip>

> The President is the one who has requested the change in the focus
> of the newsletter.

There are two issues here. Who's the audience, and who's your client?
I think you know the answers.

What you have to do is balance pleasing the audience and the client --
always a challenge.

> Don't get me wrong -- we're still trying to emphasize the
> importance of the employees with a new section that spotlights
> employees caught in the act of doing outstanding work and so on. At
> the same time, I am supposed to be working to cut the costs of the
> newsletter. I'm going to black-and-white only to cut spot ink
> colors, and posting an online version for all the support staff with
> access to computers, printing fewer copies and asking employees to
> share them. Next we're going to try going to a single sheet (8 1/2
> x 11) duplexed.

Maybe you could do a double-sided page for all future print
newsletters and include an URL for the online version, where you
could put in a whole lot more stuff. Hey, no printing costs --
until management realizes that people will print out the online
version . . . ;-)

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)