Re: Walk-throughs

Subject: Re: Walk-throughs
From: Richard Guziewicz <rkg -at- WORLDNET -dot- FR>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:54:16 +0200

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:02:55 -0700
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippincott -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>

[SNIP]
We had the same problem at our company, as I'm sure many of us have
experienced. So what happened?

I submitted a quality improvement suggestion as part of ISO 9000
certification. The suggestion said, essentially, "Let's face it,
nobody wants to review the
documentation. As a result, our reputation is suffering. I propose
that we create a QA position for a doc tester. The full-time job of
the doc tester will be
to review the manuals and perform the procedures. All of them." I then
backed it up with my experience doing essentially the same thing while
working at defense contractors.

Those interested in getting as much "ammunition" as possible before
approaching management on questions raised in this thread, I recommend
reading:

ISO Standard 9000-3 (1991): "Quality management and quality assurance
standards -Part 3: Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 to the
development, supply, and maintenance of software"

The standard makes it perfectly clear that the quality control of
documentation is vital. Without it, it is impossible to obtain
certification. Since many small and medium-sized firms are under
pressure to obtain certification, this could be a good "lever" for
bringing about significant change.

Many of my clients have found that applying the ISO standard to both
internal and external documentation, regardless of whether
certification was being sought or not, has brought about positive
change in all areas.

Richard Guziewicz
Corporate Communications Consultant
Quality Consultant for the Service Sector
Member of ITG Consulting, Paris
Villa Cabaneres - Montplaisir
F-82370 Corbarieu, France
Tel. & Fax/modem: +33 (05) 63 67 82 40