Re: Small L and Number1

Subject: Re: Small L and Number1
From: Mark Forseth <markf -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:32:19 -0500

Adobe's Monaco is a good user-entered-text and display-text font; it has a
slash through the zero to distinguish a zero from a capital letter O, among
other things. Caution: Some printers substitute Courier for Monaco when
printing from FrameMaker on Mac. Another good "engineering" font, the
whereabouts of which eludes me, is ClosedCaption2. If anyone knows where I
can get this font (for Mac), kindly e-mail me and/or share with TECHWR-L.

Alternatively, ask your company to avoid zero, cap. O, lowercase l, and
number 1 in engineering their end-user software logins and passwords; or
follow each instance with "Note: The "l" character in the above step is the
lowercase letter "L".

Mark Forseth
Technical Publications Manager
Merge Technologies Inc.
Milwaukee, WI 53214-3151

>Hi everyone,
>I have to apologize if this question has already been addressed, but I couldn't
>find anything in the archives.
>Anyway, here is my problem:
>Currently I am working on a manual that requires examples of
>path names (variable declarations) that are case sensitive.
>One particular path name includes a lower case L. When reading the path
>name it is hard to tell wether the lower case L is an L or the number 1.
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make it clear to my readers
>that it is in fact a lower case L?
>Thanks a bundle,
>Jenn

Mark Forseth