Re: HTML Help - Direction Needed

Subject: Re: HTML Help - Direction Needed
From: "Taylor, Steve" <steve -dot- taylor -at- ALLEGIANCETELECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:27:42 -0500

> I've just started a new job and we're thinking of having our help online,
> using something like HTML Help. Our application is Intranet-based, and
> I'm
> having some difficulty getting my head wrapped around this. Can somebody
> give me some advice.
>
> First, should I be differentiating between online help, and online
> documentation?

Steve Taylor -- I would. They are different, if only in form. Help
is a help file. Online documentation can be just html files linked together
by links. and html help is a compiled set of html files with the Active X
(or Java) run-time engine.

> What is the best way to learn HTML help? Is there a book or course or
> something that anybody can recommend?

Steve Taylor -- I learned HTML help by downloading the HTML Workshop
from Microsoft and reading the help files with it. Have IE 4.01. Makes
everything easier, though it will work with 3.xx. Or try the Microsoft HTML
Help Authoring Kit, by Steve Wexler of WexTech Systems, Inc.

> Should I be looking at using a HAT? Which ones work for HTML Help?

Steve Taylor -- Not familiar with HAT as an acronym. If this is help
authoring tool, then HTML Help by blue-sky is the best I've used so far. If
you know what you're doing, you can use any HTML editor. I've created a web
based help system using Front Page 98 and the Active X controls.

> I've developed hardcopy manuals for both software applications and also
> for
> processes (i.e. employee handbooks, etc.) I've also created Windows 95
> help using an authoring tool called Helpbreeze. I think I'm mentally
> stuck
> because of Winhelp. I created my files in Word using the HAT and then
> compiled them, and I keep thinking something like that exists for HTML
> Help. Does it?

HTML Help by blue-sky will take a hlp file and convert it into HTML
help. each topic becomes it's own html page, so you only need to write it
once in word. Using style sheets, you can update the styles on the HTML
pages on the fly, so to speak. Though nothing is perfect, and I've always
had to do some tweaking by hand.