Hell is.... (Re: Isolation and the technical communicator)

Subject: Hell is.... (Re: Isolation and the technical communicator)
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:56:14 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-09 09:05:51 EDT, mrh -at- abmdata -dot- com writes:

<< I take a break, which usually ends up bugging another employee
into a conversation. They are really very patient and sympathetic
with me but it does bother my supervisors a bit. In fact, that may
be part of the reason they are going to let me work at home.

What a brilliant strategy!!!!

I suspect it was a similar (but different) approach to my colleagues which
prompted a major bank to let me work off-site to my heart's content.

My own attitude towards the dubious social pleasures of the work environment
can be summed up by a quote from Jean-Paul Sartre I put up at one office
(where the thoroughly incompetent analysts were always asking me to answer the
questions they were paid to research):

"L'enfer, c'est l'autre"
or, as I so helpfully translated it for visitors to my desk:

"Hell is other people"

(...Meanwhile back in the job ads: "Must work well with others","Must enjoy
teamwork";"This project is a GROUP effort"..) ("Bagh!", as they say in
Klingon)

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood
== TW page - http://members.aol.net/jimcheval/twone.htm