Re: Framemaker questions (long)...

Subject: Re: Framemaker questions (long)...
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:22:05 -0700

Dan -

Ah, yes, Genentec's flip charts. We know 'em well. We did several
hundred of them for Tony Green and his group two years ago.

My first question is why do you have to have color screenshots? Unless
color is REALLY REALLY important - and I can't imagine how it would be -
you can get most of the information covered with black-and-white
screenshots. Color graphics take up loads more storage - and hence
processing time to load - than do black-and-white. You may be trying to
impress someone with color screenshots, but believe me, the guys who'll
be using the flip charts work just as well with b/w.

Second, if you're directly placing the graphic in the table, you'll be
using a lot more storage/processing time than if you import the graphic
by reference, a Frame trick that is one of the reasons it's preferred
over Word for heavy-duty doc work. That way the graphic isn't stored in
the file itself; it's stored as a separate file and retrieved only when
needed for display or printing.

I'm not sure I understand the sequencing question, but here's my take.
If you insert rows, you should see a continuation of the autonumbering.
If you need to start one of these steps on a new page, either inserting
a page break should do it, or adding sufficient carriage returns to
force the new row to a next page should do it, although the latter tends
to be the brute force method. If you insert a new table, obviously
you're going to reset the autonumbering.

Inserting a blank page can be done several ways, most of them involving
invisible text and a page break. The invisible text can be things like
non-printing characters, a white-on-white graphic, or a bunch of hard
carriage returns. If you're trying to continue a table, a row
sufficiently long to force a page break will do the same thing.

Frame runs reasonably fast on most NT platforms and the amount of memory
you have should do it. However, Frame also writes a lot of temporary
files while you have a doc open, and if you have a fairly full disk (or
partition), Frame is going to have trouble finding enough temporary
space. Make sure you have at least double your file size as temporary
space. (One common culprit is that people forget to clean out their
Temp directory, or the Temp folder in the Windows directory - and find
all sorts of space-consuming garbage in there when they do. Or their
copy of Netscape is just full of undiscarded stuff in the Trash and Sent
folders, and too much junk in the other folders.)