Re: Framemaker questions (long)...

Subject: Re: Framemaker questions (long)...
From: Sharon Burton <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:04:32 -0700

Because when the next version of your product comes along, those graphics
will change. And you have to remember every place that they are copied into.
If you make a directory under your current project called graphics and
always put the graphics in there, then you know where they are. Then when
the graphic that appears on 34 different pages in your 420 manual changes,
you simply name the new version of the graphic the same name as the old
graphic and save it in the graphics directory. Now it is automatically
updated through out the manual and you have time to do other things. Like
paginate or spell check or index. Otherwise, you are being paid to do it all
by hand - a terrible waste of your already aggressively scheduled time.

And the first time you completely corrupt a 20 meg file right before a
production deadline because the graphics were copied in to it, you won't
think it is a fair trade off at all. Even if you have a backup, there is a
lot of work to be redone and you have no assurance that, after you finish
the changes to the backup, the file won't corrupt again. Or that when it is
time to update the existing manual, that the files have not corrupted while
they just sat. I have seen it far too many times and once during crunch is
too often.

sharon

Sharon Burton
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS, the award-winning unofficial RoboHELP Newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
anthrobytes -at- anthrobytes -dot- com