periods inside quotation marks?

Subject: periods inside quotation marks?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:14:14 -0400

Shannon White <shannonwhite -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>

>If you think you have it figured out, here is the kicker. I have
>several buttons that use punctuation within the button name, such as
>Modify. . .
>
>Then, would I use
>
>1. Click "Modify. . . ."
>
>OR
>
>1. Click "Modify. . .".

The first choice would be the conventional one. However, some people
would argue that the second one is less confusing. What matters is
that you're consistent.

Where this question becomes really important,however, is when you're
documenting code and have to refer to an input string that includes
straight
quotation marks. If you follow the convention then, your users are
likely to type "Alphanumeric Value." when they should be typing
"Alphanumeric Value" instead - and I don't think they'll thank you.

(Those straight quotes are also hellish if your document processor is
set
to use smart quotes).

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"As we pull in tight to shore, this armada bent on rescue,
I could curse the men behind the desks who spend our lives this way,
I never signed on board to save them from this bloody lack of planning,
That strands these fine young men beneath the fires of Calais."
- James Keelaghan