Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?

Subject: Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:53:12 -0700

Anthony-
> Is an estimate supposed to be a commitment (i.e, a promise to work
> "whatever hours necessary" to meet the date)?
>
> Problem is that many managers try to equate estimate with moral
> commitment. They say that, once an estimate is made, we must meet the
> dates come hell or high water. They imply that if we do not meet our
> "commitments", we bring shame upon ourselves (not to mention bad
> performance reviews).

Estimates tend to get used by managers to make upwards commitments.
They then take heat from THEIR bosses when those commitments don't get
met. Protecting ourselves from the wrath of said managers is one of the
reasons we write contract language like "These figures are estimates,
based on the conditions stated. If any of those conditions change, the
delivery dates will also change." If we hear of a manager making a firm
commitment, we make sure they understand that they're doing so at their
own risk.

On the other hand, it's possible to make a deal with such a manager to
deliver something by a firm date, provided that it's a doable part of
the project. You can sweeten the deal by saying that you'll TRY to make
the date the manager wants for the rest, but no promises.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems