Automatic Hypenation in Documents

Subject: Automatic Hypenation in Documents
From: "Wilhelm, Kimberly A." <kimw -at- XETRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:53:00 E

I'm in need of some expert opinions on the subject of automatic
hypenation in documents. We are currently working on a proposal that is
page limited. We are using a 2-column format in Word 97, and there is
some discussion about whether we should turn on automatic hypenation so
we can squeeze more words on a page (I know, this is slimy). This
results in more text on a page, but every couple of lines ends in a
hypen, which I personally find annoying. Is an issue like this strictly
a matter of personal preference, or are there any rules regarding
hypenation? What do you do in situations like this? All help is
appreciated!

TIA
Kim Wilhelm
kimw -at- xetron -dot- com